Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Guns! Guns! Guns!

For years now I've heard the NRA saying how it's every God fearing American's right to own a gun. After years of arguing with them I have to say if you can't beat em...join em.
I'm considering joining the ranks of the National Rifle Association, but given that I don't believe in doing anything alone I've decided that should I join I should bring as many people with me as possible. To that end, I plan to go to neighborhoods like Watts, Harlem, Hough, Compton, The South Bronx, Bedford Styvessant, South Central LA, and places like the Cabrini Green Housing project in Chicago and the entire cities of East Saint Louis and Detroit.
I'll make it my mission to put a gun in the hands of every American citizen I can find who is willing to listen to me who understands that our founding fathers intended for them to possess the most powerful armaments available to them. I'll encourage them to:

a. Take Gun Safety Courses

b. Join the NRA

c. Buy as many powerful handguns and Rifles as is allowed by law.

d. Speak out against ANY legislation that would curtail their rights to own small arsenals.

During the dark period in which my ancestors were enslaved it was illegal in some states for a man of color slave or free to own a fire arm. Well fortunately we live in an equal society where ANY man or woman can purchase a powerful weapon and we have the NRA to thank for that. I will make it my mission to go to black churches and mosques and urge all in the sound of my voice to arm themselves and join the one organization that supports their constitutional right to arm themselves. Then I'll go to places like East LosAngeles, Little Havana in Miami and Spanish Harlem in New York and urge my Latino brothers to also join the ranks of this FINE organization which speaks for ALL Americans and their right to own a fire arm.
Ironically though Reagan signed legistlation as governor of California to prohibit Californians from carrying a gun on either their person or in their vehicles and supported the Brady Bill and Assault gun bans, we all know where he REALLY stood. Reagan would have said that some laws which existed in Tennessee and Texas which (even after 1867) forbade blacks from owning weapons were a CLEAR violation of our second ammendment rights.
Let us all remember that the constitution tells us that "The right to keep and bear arms shall NOT be infringed upon." It doesn't go on to say "Unless you live in a bad neighborhood."

For those of you with reading comprehension issues the proceding is satire. I support the right to own a gun, but I find it funny that many who do also are remarkably silent when men and women of color begin to arm themselves. Funny how the average American has the right to have a small arsenal of powerful weapons, but if he or she is a person of color then suddenly he or she instantaneously becomes a "person of interest" , "gun nut" or some kind of "Threat."

Fact: The Black Panther Party in California carried UNLOADED weapons on their persons in the 1960s largely to illustrate a point to law enforcement officials in Oakland. The gun laws in California were antiquated frontier laws which allowed any citizen to carry a gun and the Panthers merely exploited this.
The men and women of the Black Panther Party despite their militant stance opened day care centers, soup kitchens and food pantries and generally attempted to improve their communities. Bear in mind the two founding members of the Black Panther Party were college students in spite of any good they attempted to do J. Edgar Hoover declared them "The biggest threat to the American way of life" and instances like the Death of Chicago Panther Leader Fred Hampton, who was shot to death in his sleep as the Chicago Police opened fire on his apartment claiming that he had opened fire on them despite the fact that his weapon hadn't been fired.
I happened past an NRA convention here in Houston several years ago. I noticed something odd about the membership as they left the gathering. I saw no blacks, Latinos or Asians. That's not to say there aren't any, but I didn't see any. I doubt that the National Rifle Associate discriminates against anyone, but I would be lying to myself if I didn't say that I think their rank and file would be uncomfortable with the thought of me joining and encouraging large groups of minorities to do the same, despite how much it would help their image.

1 comment:

Moya said...

Yay! I agree with you--even though I think we'd be better off criminalizing fire arms. I'd love to see the NRA's reaction to a Bed-Stuy, 3rd Ward, Harlem gathering...

Please keep out of the way of the storm. I know you and Marcy tend to stay behind, but if you have to stay, keep as high up as you can.